Part beat on a global binge, whose fix is travel and experience; part student learning art and culture, history and language; and part citizen finding his place and duty of universal respect in our global community.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Venice and Roma

Before I was to meet my group to take a water bus out to Murano to see the glass blowing factories, I sat down by the waterfront to have lunch. Every morning during this time of year, the high tides spill over the coast and slowly fill up San Marcos’ Square. I had to slosh through this on my way to the waterfront. While the flooded square makes a gorgeous and unique site, the wet shoes that accompany it are less than desirable. I digress, my lunch was the remains of my cheese feast from the night before, sans wine of course (it was only one, and who would assume any was left…). I was unable to enjoy my meal in solitude though and I ended up sharing my bread rolls with some flying rats. I have gotten used to using the public transit in both Athens and Rome; the public transit in Venice is quite different. Instead of packed on a metro or bus, I had the spray of the Venetian harbor wetting my face through an open window. After a short ride I arrived in Murano where I watched a glass horse blown and constructed in a matter of moments; true craftsmanship although utterly worthless to me. I explored the back side of the small island and was pleased to find open areas and a real park with grass. If I had a disc, it would have been the perfect place to play! Walking back, I was able to catch some great shots of the sun setting. It was only appropriate that I said goodbye to Venice in the midst of another torrential downpour. But my exploring was far from over, and I looked with grateful anticipation on the many sights I will get to see in Roma. I have a great map of Roma that shows many of the points of interest. With the bus/metro pass I have, I am systematically going to most of the locations. Today, before class at San Clemente and San Giovanni, I walked past the Mausoleum of Augustus; and after class past the Coliseum and the Circo Maximo towards the ancient city walls of Rome, all the time walking along the same road that conquering generals and emperors would enter the city and at whose end lies the Triumphal arch of Constantine. I had lunch on the Spanish Steps, and the night before enjoyed a Guinness at Piazza Venezia under the auspicious shadows of the ‘birthday cake’ (really the Monumento a Vittorio Emmanuele II; a 20th century monument designed in the classical fashion that many snobby Romans think is in poor taste. I personally enjoy it). There are many things to see in this vast city, and I will do my best to take it all in. One thing is for sure, I will know this city very well before my 6 weeks are up.

1 comment:

JC said...

What's with the bird dude?