Part beat on a global binge, whose fix is travel and experience; part student learning art and culture, history and language; and part citizen finding his place and duty of universal respect in our global community.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Roma

Our first full day in Rome was to be used following one of our teachers around on a walking tour of the City Center. While I have seen Rome before, it was great to walk around with an art professor and learn more about art around the area. The night before I had made my way to the Pantheon, which was my favorite spot last time I was in Rome. The restorative scaffolding that was there 4 years prior was now gone. It was more amazing than I remember. The day our class went, the skies were dumping its contents on us. Birds were floating on the gentle air between buildings, effortlessly. As the storm waned and waxed the drizzle would at times float listlessly to the ground. Once inside the Pantheon, we were still not free from the rain. The oculus in the center of its massive dome allowed the elements access to people and marble below. The floor was sleek and slippery, but looking up I could see the dark clouds and the water, falling through a two millennia old pagan temple, wet my face and I was happy because of it.
In the streets that day, thousands or students and citizens, but mostly young students, filled the streets and the piazzas. Not just a main street or two, they were everywhere. They were protesting the government’s reduction in educational spending and their discussion of privatizing college education. Whether it was the righteousness of their cause, the dreary, wet energy of the day, or simply my revolutionary tendencies, I could not help but be filled with an intense desire to join in their struggle. My fists belong clutched and pounding the air. My lungs need to breathe the fiery hot chants of justified revolt. My body needs to submit to the flow of a peaceful demonstration moving through streets regardless of weather and gaining nothing but momentum and power and people. I was dismayed at the feelings flooding over me. As we continued our walk and the crowds grew fewer, the emotions I was feeling subsided and I was left with a slightly empty feeling. Maybe revolutionary activity is in my future… (but peaceful, of course) Our apartment in Rome is a nice place and only two blocks from St. Peter’s Square. On the way home from out first day of tours and classes, still sopping wet from the rain, I couldn’t help but postpone my dinner a little longer and go have a look at the sun set over St. Peter’s dome. The square was empty because of the rain and I was able to snap some excellent photos. While our lodging in Rome is in a great location and they have great hardwood floors, it is 30 minutes from where our classes are and has no internet access. The only way I can check emails or post is by using an internet cafĂ© a 7 minute walk from here. So, my posting might come sporadically and when they do, there might be many of them. We leave for Venice tomorrow morning and I cannot wait!

No comments: